Monday, December 27, 2010

Writing: The Hook

While studying the craft of writing I’ve been trying to discern what constitutes a good hook. For those who are unfamiliar with the term this is the first paragraph or so of a fictional piece (or a news or history piece) that serves to grab the reader’s interest.

I have come to the conclusion that if I can encapsulate the why of the story properly then I will have a good hook. Why what will happen in the story is important to the protagonist. And make it emotionally gripping to the audience. Thus is the good hook.

© 2010 Vic Jones

1 comment:

Lorelei Bell said...

Writing the hook has been the fundamental quest of each and every author. I sometimes read books which leave me puzzled as to why I bought them in the first place. Even when a good hook grabs you, the rest of the story can't leave the reader bored.

Depending upon your genre, I suppose, you'd have to grab the reader accordingly. Something has to happen in the first 5-6 pages that holds the reader and makes them want to know what will happen next; want to know more about the characters, and see how the protag gets out of the initial situation--or do they? In my first vampire novel, my protag simply gets in deeper with every page.

Have a good one Vic, and good luck in finding that hook.

Lorelei's Muse

Search This Blog