Sunday, May 19, 2019

What Happened to My Ads Part 2

Yesterday I asked what had happened to the adsense ads that I used to have on this page. Then I went and did some research. It seems, that unless I’m getting 10,000 views per month, I won’t be getting any ads. It also seems that I need to keep my posts longer than 500 words.

I don’t know about any of my readers, but I think that for the most part I’m going to have no problem meeting that word limit. Although to a poet like myself (at least I have pretensions of being a poet at times) that 500 words is a large amount of fluff to throw at the page without ever really saying anything.

On any subject that I’m familiar with I can actually get some good detail done with a piece of that size, and as anyone can see by this post, it isn’t really hard to stretch out what is written in a post that really isn’t very informative.

One other thing that I found is that it seems that it is a good idea to link your blog to your youtube channel. Now one thing I must admit is that I don’t really have a youtube channel, though I do comment on items on youtube.

But why don’t you have a youtube channel? Simple, because I have a face for radio, and a voice for silent movies! Or in other words I at least feel that I don't do well at speaking, and that my audience would be in danger of hurling if they saw my mug.

Of course I could just do audio with white boards or screen shots to back the audio… But like I said, at least in my opinion, I don’t have a very good voice.

Ah well, off to upwork www.upwork.com to see if I can’t find some sort of small gig to get my foot in the door as a proofreader… Though what I’ve seen there is very frustrating. It seems that everyone who wants someone to do that job is looking more for an ‘expert’ reader than a proofreader. After all you really don't even need a MFA to proofread effectively. At least for English you don't need such a credential. After all what you really need is to be familiar with written English and how it should be done. And that familiarity can come from a variety of sources. I like to say that my source for my knowledge of how the English language is written is from reading a large number of both fiction and non-fiction books, where I’ve had the displeasure of having spent my money on something to discover that there were spelling errors in it!

I do believe that I’m going to see if I can also convince another place to take me on as an ‘extern’ that is someone who learns while they work but from a remote location, rather than a central office. I’ll make an offer that ought to be hard for them to refuse, that is to work for a certain amount of money each week regardless of the work they shove in front of me. If past experience is any guide, I get through quite a pile of work anyway when it comes to proofreading. I guess I should go now.

Until my next post, read, rate, and follow my work please!

No comments:

Search This Blog